Let your taste buds take a ride on turkey-stuffed zucchini boats!
Turkey-Stuffed Zucchini Boats – Fresh zucchini filled with delicious Italian flavors spinach, peppers, ground turkey & more. This is a family-friendly meal, too. This recipe isn’t a super-quick one, but you can make it ahead and serve later (up to 3 days!) and the leftovers are just as good. Enjoy!
- Total time: 40 minutes
- Serves 4
4 zucchini (medium)
2 cups tomato sauce (divided)
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 lb extra-lean ground turkey
2 garlic cloves (minced)
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 red bell pepper (chopped)
4 cups baby spinach (chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; scoop out the seeds using a spoon. Add half of the tomato sauce to the bottom of a baking dish. Place the hollowed-out zucchini cut side up on top of the tomato sauce. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add the turkey and cook until browned, breaking it into small pieces as it cooks.
- Add garlic, Italian seasoning, salt & red pepper ﬂakes to the turkey and stir to combine. Add bell pepper and spinach and continue to cook until spinach is wilted. Add remaining tomato sauce to the turkey mixture and stir to combine. Season with additional salt, if necessary.
- Spoon turkey mixture into hollowed-out zucchini boats.
- Cover baking dish with a lid or foil and bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
- Divide zucchini boats between plates and enjoy your Turkey-Stuffed Zucchini Boats!
- Leftovers: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Serving size: One serving is equal to two zucchini boats.
- More flavor: Use ﬂavored pasta sauce instead of plain tomato sauce.
- Additional toppings: Broil cheese on the top of each zucchini boat before serving. Garnish with additional red pepper ﬂakes and fresh herbs like parsley or basil.
- No turkey: Use ground chicken or pork sausage instead.
- No meat: Use your favorite protein.
Private Physicians Medical Associates (PPMA) knows that healthy changes require healthy knowledge. In that light, we are pleased to share health news and information, including healthy recipes, with our patients and guests. We invite you to browse our blog.
⚕ PPMA – Medicine the way it should be.