Tahini-Carrot Soup with Pistachios – one spoonful and you are on your way to ultra-deliciousness. It’s rich in flavor, smooth and, yes, scrumptious. You can switch things up by substituting cumin and coriander, or a little miso and soy sauce. Healthy, vegan, happy tummy!
- Active time: 15 mins
- Total time: 35 mins
- Yield: serves 4 (serving size: about 1-1/4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups unsalted vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons tahini (sesame seed paste), well stirred
- 8 teaspoons Tahini Sauce
- 6 tablespoons unsalted pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano leaves
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in salt, paprika, turmeric, and garlic; cook 1 minute. Add carrots; cook 1 minute. Stir in stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 20 minutes or until carrots are very tender.
- Combine carrot mixture and 3 tablespoons tahini in a blender. Remove the center piece from the blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure lid on blender. Place a clean kitchen towel over opening in the lid (to avoid splatters). Process until smooth. Divide soup evenly among 4 bowls. Drizzle 2 teaspoons Tahini Sauce over each serving. Top each serving with 1-1/2 tablespoons pistachios and 1/2 teaspoon oregano leaves.
Note: Try adding a crunchy topper, like roasted chickpeas, chopped almonds, or diced red bell pepper.