Summer Veggie Tostadas are great for summertime get-togethers – fun to assemble and delicious to eat! You’ll love the healthy combination of black beans, yummy spices, and sauteed summer veggies – all atop baked corn tortillas. We like baked because you get the crisp without the added fat. Try Summer Veggie Tostadas!
Summer Veggie Tostadas
Prep time 25 minutes
Cook time 15 minutes
Total time 40 minutes
8 corn tortillas
1 tsp + 1 Tbsp canola oil
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 cup corn – canned, frozen (thawed), or fresh
1 medium red bell pepper, diced (about one cup)
1 small zucchini, diced (about one cup)
1 garlic clove, minced
Salt & pepper to taste
2 15-oz cans low-sodium black beans, drained
1 cup salsa
Avocado, sliced or mashed (optional garnish)
Feta cheese (optional garnish)
Cilantro (optional garnish)
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Place tortillas on a cookie sheet in a single layer, being sure not to overlap. Brush both sides of each tortilla with 1 teaspoon of oil, using a pastry brush. Bake for 8-10 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking time.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add remaining oil & spices. Cook for 30 seconds or until the spices are fragrant. Add corn, red bell pepper, and zucchini.
- While veggies are cooking, place beans & salsa in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until mixture begins to simmer and beans are heated through. Turn off heat and mash beans to almost the consistency of refried beans.
- Once veggies are tender (about 10 minutes), add garlic, then cook for 30 more seconds. Remove from heat. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- To complete tostadas, spread a layer of beans on each tortilla, then top with veggie mixture & desired garnishes.
Private Physicians Medical Associates (PPMA) knows that healthy changes require healthy knowledge. In that light, we are pleased to share health news and information, including healthy recipes, with our patients and guests. We invite you to browse our blog.