With cool weather here in Orange County, it is the perfect time for a delicious, warm soup. This comforting soup with chicken, kale, carrots and mushrooms is not only gluten- and dairy-free, but also has minimal amounts of sugar and unhealthy fats. Plus, it has plenty of protein to keep your energy level high and keep you on track with your healthy resolutions.
Green chicken soup
2 quarts chicken stock
1 bunch kale, chopped
3 carrots, sliced
1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1 cup shredded chicken (optional, though nice)
- If you are starting entirely from scratch and making your own roasted chicken stock, then after you have roasted the chicken for your stock, pick the meat from the bones and set aside in the fridge –you will add it to the finished soup later.
- Place chicken stock in a soup pot over medium heat, reserving 2 cups stock
- Take reserved stock and blend it with kale in a vitamix, until smooth and creamy
- Pour kale-stock mixture into pot of chicken stock
- Add carrots and mushrooms (and shredded chicken if you have it)
- Cook for 30 minutes, or until carrots are tender
- Serve and enjoy!