Warm-up with Coconut Curry Chili – In less than 30 minutes, you’ll be enjoying this healthy, yummy chili. With lots of vegetables, Bulgar, and curried-coconut-deliciousness, Coconut Curry Chili will send your taste buds to heaven while you’re getting full & warm. And you can be happy that you’re eating healthily.
- Prep time: 10 mins
- Cook time 17 mins
- Total time 27 mins
- Serves 4
- Serving size 2-1/2 cups
- 1-1/2 tsp red curry paste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 1/2 cup uncooked Bulgur
- 1/2 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed (2 cups)
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped (2 cups)
- 3 cups cooked kidney beans or BPA-free canned kidney beans, drained & well-rinsed
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 2 cups jarred or boxed tomato purée (aka passata)
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- In a 4-qt pot, add curry paste, cumin, and a bit of broth. Mash mixture and stir until paste is no longer in lumps. Add remaining broth, Bulgur, potato, and bell pepper. Set over high heat and bring mixture to a boil. Cover tightly, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add beans, coconut milk, and tomato purée to the pot and stir. Cook, uncovered, for 7 minutes, until Bulgur is tender and chili is thick. Stir in scallions and black pepper and serve.
- Recipe by Emily Christopher
- Image by Edward Pond
Private Physicians Medical Associates (PPMA) knows that healthy changes require healthy knowledge. In that light, we are pleased to share health news and information, including healthy recipes, with our patients and guests. We invite you to browse our blog.