Chickpea flatbread pizza is healthy deliciousness in every bite — a crisp chickpea flatbread base topped with basil, spices, and Mozzarella cheese. Add your own favorite toppings to this fresh take on pizza, like olives, bell peppers, sautéed mushrooms, pepperoni, bacon, etc. Our chickpea flatbread pizza is tummy-tested and nutritionist-approved!
Total time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- 2 cups chickpea flour
- 2 cups water
- 3 tbsp avocado oil (divided)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2/3 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 12 oz Mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1/4 cup basil leave (finely chopped)
- In a mixing bowl whisk the chickpea ﬂour, water, and two-thirds of the oil and salt together until smooth. Let the batter sit for 1 hour at room temperature.
- About 10 minutes before the batter is done resting, preheat the oven to 450ºF (232ºC) and place a 10-inch cast-iron pan inside the warming oven.
- Remove the pan from the oven and turn the broiler to high. Add the remaining oil to the pan and swirl to coat. Pour the batter into the pan and place it under the broiler for 5 to 7 minutes until the edges have browned and the top of the ﬂatbread is ﬁrm. Remove from the oven.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350ºF (176ºC).
- Carefully remove the chickpea ﬂatbread from the pan and transfer it to a baking sheet. Top it with tomato sauce, spices, and shredded cheese. Return to the oven and bake for 10 to 12 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and browned. Top with basil.
- Slice and serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Leftovers: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to three days. For best results, reheat in the oven until just warmed through and crisp.
- Serving size: One serving is equal to approximately three slices of pizza.
- Dairy-free: Use a dairy-free shredded cheese instead.
- More flavor: Add minced garlic and Italian seasoning to the tomato sauce.
- Additional toppings: Top with your favorite pizza toppings like pepperoni, bacon, olives, bell peppers, or sautéed mushrooms.
Private Physicians Medical Associates (PPMA) knows that healthy changes require healthy knowledge. In that light, we are pleased to share health news and information, including healthy recipes, with our patients and guests. We invite you to browse our blog.