Chicken & broccoli casserole – one of America’s favorite comfort foods! This recipe is likely way healthier than the traditional chicken & broccoli casserole most of us have had, and frankly, we think it’s more delicious, too! Using healthful ingredients like organic coconut milk, nutritional yeast, and organic chicken broth, you can be certain that, while you’re happily munching away, your body is being nourished. Chicken & broccoli casserole, here we come!
Chicken & Broccoli Casserole
- Total time 50 mins
- Serves 4
1 lb chicken thighs (boneless, skinless)
1/4 tsp sea salt (divided)
1 tsp avocado oil
5 cups broccoli (cut into ﬂorets)
1/2 yellow onion (thinly sliced)
1-1/4 cups organic coconut milk (full fat, from the can)
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tbsp tapioca flour
1/2 tsp garlic powder
3/4 cup organic chicken broth
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF
- Season the chicken thighs with half of the sea salt. Heat a skillet over medium heat and add avocado oil. Working in batches, add the chicken and cook for 6 to 7 minutes per side or until cooked through. Remove the chicken and set aside to cool. Once cool, shred the chicken with two forks.
- In the same skillet, using the fat from the chicken, add the broccoli and yellow onion and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until the broccoli is bright green. Remove from the pan.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan over medium-low heat, add the coconut milk, nutritional yeast, tapioca ﬂour, garlic powder, and remaining sea salt. Whisk to combine. Bring to a simmer, then turn off the heat and add the chicken broth.
- Add chicken thighs to an oven-safe dish and top with broccoli and onions. Add the coconut milk sauce on top and give it a stir. Place it in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove, let it cool slightly and then serve.
- Leftovers: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- More flavor: Add chopped bacon or mushrooms to the dish. Season with your favorite dried herbs.
- Additional toppings: Serve with rice or cauliflower rice
- No tapioca flour: Use arrowroot flour or cornstarch
Private Physicians Medical Associates (PPMA) knows that healthy changes require healthy knowledge. In that light, we are pleased to share health news and information, including healthy recipes, with our patients and guests. We invite you to browse our blog.