🍊 7 Citrus Salad with Mint – Just one bite and you’ll be saying Hello, Summer! Fresh, exotic, and refreshing; this one of our favorite summer salads. Just think, in a little more than half-an-hour, you’ll be treating your mouth to the flavors of summer with the 7 Citrus Salad with Mint.
See below for some of the health benefits of citrus.
Hands-on time: 15 mins
Total time: 35 mins
- 1 Cara Cara orange
- 1 Rio Star grapefruit, or pink or red grapefruit
- 1 blood orange
- 2 satsuma mandarin oranges
- 1 cocktail citrus
- 1 ugli fruit (Jamaican tangelo)
- 4 kumquats, peels washed well, halved lengthwise & thinly sliced, removing any seeds
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- Using a knife, or by hand, remove peels from Cara Cara orange, grapefruit, blood orange & satsuma oranges. Pull apart sections, cut into bite-sized pieces & add to a bowl.
- Using a knife, cut away the peel of cocktail citrus & ugli fruit. Then, using a paring knife, cut in between membranes to remove fruit segments. Add segments to bowl. Add kumquats & mint.
- Toss to combine and refrigerate for about 15 mins before serving.
Health Benefits of Citrus Fruits
• Citrus fruits are excellent sources of antioxidants, vitamins, and nutrients, including vitamin C, fiber, folate, and potassium.
• Folate naturally reduces levels of the amino acid homocysteine, and increased levels of homocysteine have been shown to increase heart disease risk.
• Antioxidant-rich flavonoids in citrus fruits may help improve brain health and reduce the risk of neurodegenerative disease.
• Citrus fruit tends to show more significant protection against cancers of the digestive tract, including mouth, esophageal, stomach, and colon cancers, compared to other fruits.
• Citrus fruits can help you stay hydrated and they support your immune system.
Find more salad recipes.