Tis’ the season for the flu! With changing weather, the flu season in the US usually begins in October and peaks in February. This blog article will give you helpful information on the flu, immunity boosters and natural remedies!
The flu is a contagious respiratory infection caused by a virus. Flu symptoms usually start suddenly, and symptoms include:
– Fever (usually high)
– Severe aches and pains in the joints and muscles and around the eyes
– Weakness & fatigue
– Warm, flushed skin and red, watery eyes
– Dry cough
– Sore throat and runny nose
The main difference between the flu and a cold is the flu infects your respiratory system, and the cold infects your upper respiratory tract. The flu also causes a fever, body aches, and exhaustion, which doesn’t come on from a small cold.
Tips to prevent the flu
– Wash your hands frequently
– Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth. Germs spread this way.
– Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
– Cover your nose and your mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
– If you are sick with flu-like symptoms, stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone after the use of a fever-reducing medicine.
– Get the flu vaccination each year.
The flu season is here and you should start boosting your immune system now! Here’s a list of different ways to boost your immune system to help ward off the flu.
– Eat clean & healthy – Sugar decreases the bodies immune function. Load up on greens that are packed full of phytonutrients which help prevent disease & sickness.
– Garlic contains anti-viral properties and can be a powerful remedy against colds & the flu!
– Get your sleep – Quality sleep & rest will keep your immune system up.
– Exercise will get your blood pumping and increase your white blood cells which attack against viruses.
– Zinc – Recent studies have shown that taking Zinc within the first few days of symptoms can help to shorten the cold or flu.
– Keep hydrated – Your body needs fluids to function properly, and drinking water to stay hydrated will help your immune system strong and functioning.
If you are concerned about the flu or have any symptoms, call our office to schedule an appointment with a physician (949)566-8179.