Pineapple (Ananas comosus) is a tropical plant with an edible fruit that originated in South America, where it’s been cultivated for centuries. The ever-versatile pineapple is used in everything from smoothies to skincare, which makes sense given its incredible health benefits!
Not only are the pineapple’s flesh and juice used in culinary delights ’round the globe, but the fruit remains the topic of one of the most heated pizza-related arguments known to humankind: Does pineapple belong on pizza?
Nutrition all the way! Pineapple:
- contains 13% carbohydrates and 0.5% protein
- supplies almost 10% of your daily fiber needs in just one cup
- provides a rich dose of manganese (44% Daily Value, DV)
- is packed with vitamin C (58% DV)
- is a healthy source of B vitamins, including folate, niacin, thiamin, and B6
- is 86% water – at least, when it’s in raw pineapple pulp form.
Health benefits? Oh, yes! The pineapple is:
- Loaded with nutrients
- Contains disease-fighting antioxidants
- May aid in digestion
- May reduce the risk of cancer
- May boost immunity and suppress inflammation
- May ease symptoms of arthritis
- May speed recovery after surgery or strenuous exercise
- Easy to add to your diet.
Do you include pineapple in your diet?