May is National Skin Cancer Awareness Month, and we are sharing our top safety and prevention tips. Did you know that in the United States, skin cancer is the most common type of cancer? Melanoma is considered the most aggressive type, and is caused by excessive exposure to the suns UV rays. However, there are many ways to help prevent skin cancer, and it starts with protection from the sun.
- Always wear sunscreen.
- No matter what the weather is, or what time of year, you should always wear sunscreen when you step out of the house with a minimum SPF of 30 and broad spectrum protection. Reapply throughout the day to prevent aging and sunburn.
- Wear sunglasses.
- The sun can cause damage to the eyes, and wearing sunglasses with total UV protection will block out the sun’s harmful rays.
- Wear clothes with sun protection.
- Hats, pants, and long sleeves can also protect and shield your skin from the sun.
- Do not use a tanning bed. Ultraviolet radiation is a carcinogen according to the skincancer.org.